Thursday, June 23, 2011

What the heck am I thinking??

So recently we had a neighbor change in our area and I was quite a bit concerned about the new tenants. One of those reasons being the 19 yr old young lady that has a rather, shall we say "wild" lifestyle. So of course, she zones in on my very handsome (Yes I am biased but he is adorable) 17 year old son... and I?

Well initially I panicked. My first gut reaction was to restrict him to the house to reduce any possible negative influence she might have, but let's face it, you can't keep an almost grown man shut up in the house indefinitely so that was out. My second was to talk to her and let her know that my son was a minor and that she should NOT be seeking him out, but then try inviting someone to church after THAT conversation. But finally, my senses kicked in and I did what I should have done in the first place, I prayed and opened my Bible. And what a weird experience to be hit with conviction and peace at the same time, but that's exactly what happened.

The conviction was for not reaching for my word & prayer first and for doubting in the first place, but beautiful blessed peace because I know how we have raised our son, and that he WILL make the right choices.

Proverbs 22:6 clearly tells us to:

6 "Train up a child in the way he should go, Even when he is old he will not depart from it".

Glory Hallelujah! Is it really that simple? Yes it is. This does not mean that we are foolish or turning a blind eye but rather we are allowing our son to use his wisdom to make decisions for his life. We are also making sure that we are more interactive with our community, spending time outside, connecting with those around us and being in the area.

Raising a teenager can be hard at times, but there is so much joy and satisfaction in it and I promise you... it is WORTH it!!!! :)

God Bless!!

Chi

1 comment:

  1. You are an AMAZING mother, you don't have a thing to worry about with those kids. :)

    ReplyDelete